Why Solo Female Travel Is More Important Than Ever

Why Solo Female Travel Is More Important Than Ever
Solo female travel is now more important than ever. We should be encouraging women to travel more. Nurturing independent, inquisitive and open minded female travellers.

In light of recent political events I feel like a lot of people’s thoughts are turning to travel. Whilst in some cases this may simply be a knee jerk reaction in a kind of ‘just get me outta here!’ way, I do feel that now is the time to recognise that solo female travel is more important than ever.

Whether you’ve travelled before or are new to the thoughts of adventure, solo female travel is – and always will be – incredibly important.

But first, let me touch on two things that solo travel is not.

Travel Is Not: Feeling The Fear

I’m going to start off with the old cliché: “feel the fear and do it anyway.”

Women are constantly being told that they need to be afraid. And we accept this more readily than we should.

Eyebrows and tones of voice are raised when we suggest solo travel goals. ‘Won’t you be scared?’ We are asked in the way that suggests if you’re not afraid then there’s something wrong with you.

solo-female-travel-important

Yes, there is an element of risk involved with travel. But, travel shouldn’t mean that you lose all common sense and put yourself in unnecessary danger. You should always be concerned about your safety and well being as you travel, regardless of your gender.

Whilst, in the fall out from recent  events, it may feel as if the world – or even your own country – is a broiling mass of fear and intolerance, it’s imperative to remember that this is not so.

Just as fear and intolerance may hold some people back, choosing to travel throws off those shackles and allows a woman to step out into the world with her eyes and heart open.

Travel Is Not: Running Away

Travel is not done simply to turn your back on the perceived flaws and faults of your country. Why solo female travel is more important than ever is because it allows you to develop a fresh perspective; to view your own birth country with a newly critical eye, to bring back knowledge, respect and understanding of other cultures into your home life.

We shouldn’t judge our sisters who chose to travel in the coming months or years. We should be actively encouraging them. How can travel – both national and international – be a bad thing if it helps them to understand the world and their place in it?

With those two things in mind, here are five reasons why I think solo female travel is more important now than ever before.

solo-female-travel-important-australia

Manning Gorge, Western Australia

Travel To Learn

Learn how to speak another language. Learn how to navigate a transport system in a foreign country. Learn about the history, the culture and the people of a place that’s far from your home town. Even the act of travel is enough to get your brain and wits firing on all cylinders; honing your negotiation skills, your judgement and decision making.

Travel To Appreciate

Appreciate that the sun rises and sets all across the globe, but that people’s view of it and circumstances differ greatly to your own. The way that you live your life isn’t necessarily the way that others do, and this will help to shape your perspective and your view of reality. As Kathi of Watch Me See beautifully sums up, “if only people would travel more consciously, they could let go of their fears.”

solo-female-travel-important

Travel To Grow

It’s human nature to be inquisitive and travel allows your curiosity to blossom. Travelling can also be confronting and unsettling at times, and may force you to question yourself in the face of different cultures and customs.

Travel To Love

Love the music, love the food, love the scenery, love the smiles of the children playing in the street. Fill your cup with love until it reaches the brim and spills out into the lives of the people you meet, both whilst travelling and abroad. Fall in love with yourself and allow yourself to be loved by the people you meet.

solo-female-travel-important-australia

Bell Gorge, Western Australia

Travel To Meet New People

Enrich yourself with the knowledge and experience of other people. Allow yourself to learn from them.

Right now, as you are reading this, there are strong, fearless women across the globe who are benefiting from travel. Are you ready to join them?

Don’t let fear hold you back. Let love guide you home.

Over to you. In what ways do you think solo travel is beneficial for a woman? Share your thoughts with me in the comments.

Love it? Pin it! (Note: Image below is half sized. For a full sized image, click the Pin It button on my floating social media share menu.)

22 Comments

1. December 3, 2016 / 5:26 AM

This was an awesome post! Definitely needed a reminder of why its okay to be on your own and to still be able explore the beauty of the world and learn a lot about yourself at the same time.

• December 3, 2016 / 7:58 AM

Thanks so much! I think travel is a win-win situation when you think of it like that. So glad you liked it!

2. December 3, 2016 / 6:01 AM

I loved reading this! There are so many wonderful reasons to travel – one of my favorite reasons is that it pushes you out of your comfort zone. Thanks for sharing!

• December 3, 2016 / 8:01 AM

Travel can definitely be confronting – but so much good can come from it! So pleased you liked it. Thanks for commenting!

3. December 3, 2016 / 8:20 AM

Great Post! Yes, female solo travel is so important for so many reasons. Travel in general will open our eyes to the world and it becomes a less scary place the more we travel. The more we travel the more we realize that we have more things that connect us with the rest of the world then divide us.

• December 3, 2016 / 9:32 PM

“The more we travel the more we realize that we have more things that connect us with the rest of the world than divide us”. YES, Brittany! I couldn’t have summed this up more perfectly myself!

4. December 3, 2016 / 8:30 AM

Great article! I travelled alone for years before I met my bf. It made me so much more comfortable within myself and met some of the most amazing people!

• December 3, 2016 / 9:33 PM

So glad you liked it, Rohan. I definitely credit some solo traveling for my own confidence boost so I agree with you that is a resounding positive!

5. December 3, 2016 / 9:35 AM

Loved this post! My mother always thought I traveled and moved to different countries to run away from something (whatever that would be) which is not the case. I traveled because I wanted to see, learn and grow as a person. Again, thank you for sharing this post 🙂

• December 3, 2016 / 9:35 PM

I believe that the urge to discover something new usually outweighs any kind of thoughts of ‘running away.’ Thank you for your kind words and I’m so pleased you enjoyed the post.

6. December 3, 2016 / 11:20 AM

This is great – I love your post! I think it’s so important that people see travel not as escapism, but as an opportunity to learn and broaden your horizon! Of course not everybody can afford to travel, but you can also travel through books, music, films or conversations with other people – it’s all about the mindset I think!

• December 3, 2016 / 9:39 PM

Thank you, Kathi. I also agree with you that travel can look a lot less like general escapism and more like a voyage into self and world discovery. And yes, that can totally be achieved through education, reading and a willingness to learn from others from your own home town.

7. December 3, 2016 / 11:27 AM

Wonderful post! I have decided, being from Scotland and having Europe at my fingertips, I am going to take more solo trips! I love the encouragement of this post! Thank you x

• December 3, 2016 / 9:40 PM

Awesome plan! So happy that you feel inspired to plan a few trips. I really need to do more expiration of Europe as well, so bring on the holidays!

8. December 3, 2016 / 12:28 PM

Great post, solo trips are definitely worth trying to somebody, who never done it before. It’s entirely different way of experiencing the world and I love it 🙂

• December 3, 2016 / 9:42 PM

Totally! Not only do you discover more about the world but you learn a lot about yourself in the process. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

9. Lou Vitukawalu
    December 3, 2016 / 2:18 PM

Such an interesting read ! Thanks for sharing ! Solo trips are actually part of my bucket list & I am looking forward to the life long lessons that comes along with it !!

• December 3, 2016 / 9:44 PM

I hope you manage to travel solo one day, Lou! Thank you for reading and I’m so happy you enjoyed the post.

10. February 11, 2017 / 11:25 AM

This post reminds me of the quote, “We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.” So true 🙂

• February 11, 2017 / 1:18 PM

I would agree, this sums up the feeling perfectly. As the years roll by it’s harder not to critique one’s own life and berate oneself for not ‘achieving’ the things one wants to. I feel travel allows an opportunity to step back and appreciate how far we’ve come.

11. May 25, 2017 / 3:25 PM

Love this article! Women should not be afraid of exploring the world, I really recommend it to all my friends.

• May 28, 2017 / 4:10 PM

Thank you, Amalia! The message is a strong one that I feel passionate about. I’m so glad you enjoyed reading it!