28 Powerful Travel Mantras Every Wannabe Solo Traveller Should Read
If you’re thinking about taking a solo trip any time soon then here’s a selection of powerful travel mantra that you should read.
These words are fragments that I’ve picked up from fellow solo travellers just like you. These guys and girls are either seasoned solo travellers or first-time wanderlusters. I felt that their words had the power to encourage and inspire and so I wrote them down in a series of travel tips that can help boost your confidence.
It can be scary when you decide to commit to a trip by yourself, but be assured that many others walk the same path. The snippets of conversation below are proof that you are not alone in your dreams to travel solo.
These travellers have taken their first steps and have already learned so much and benefited from their travels.
What Does Mantra Mean?
According to Vocabulary.com, a mantra is a motivating chant, like the “I think I can, I think I can” you repeat over and over to yourself on the last stretch of every marathon you run.
Whether you use these words to spur you into action to book your trip or comfort you as you travel, I hope that they will motivate you.
Although I don’t want to relate solo travel to running a marathon, there is actually a strange similarity between the two. Just as I doubt I could ever run a marathon (I can barely run for the bus without collapsing), there was once a time I doubted I had the courage to travel alone. And it’s in these feelings of doubt that our fear and hesitation festers.
By repeating “I think I can, I think I can” when preparing to travel solo for the first time, you overcome your demons and complete your marathon.
So, buoyed up by the notion you can run a marathon and travel by yourself, let’s take a look at some of my favourite travel mantra inspired by solo travellers just like you:
On Planning Travel
- I am flexible and can accept changes to my plans.
Often the best times come from the most unexpected things.
2. Travel is unpredictable.
The sooner you realise that travel is unpredictable and choose to go with the flow (even when that means things don’t go as you planned) and embrace the beauty of that in itself, you’ll enjoy yourself.
3. Travel doesn’t have to be something out of a fairy tale to be beautiful and life changing
For more inspo on booking your first solo trip, take a look at my my guide and download your free checklist.
On Fear Of Travel
4. Nothing is as scary as it seems.
5. If I don’t like something I have the power to change it.
Whether it be location, shoes, who you’re with, where you’re staying or your mindset.
6. Fake it until I make it.
7. I will make a decision to put myself outside my comfort zone every single day.
Whether that may be trying a new dish, talking to a local or going sightseeing alone.
8. Nothing is unfixable.
9. There is a solution to every challenge.
10. I won’t sweat the small stuff. Things will go wrong, but I don’t have to panic.
11. I can’t control everything, just how I respond to it.
Things will go wrong. It’s just a different path I was supposed to take.
12. Don’t hold on too tight to structured plans. Allow yourself the flexibility to deal with change.
On Travelling Alone
13. I travel for myself and nobody else.
14. I follow my own path.
15. I will never compromise my travel style just so I can travel with someone else.
16. My trip is not filled only by other people’s recommendations.
Your trip should be about the things you want to do, not what people tell you to do. Finding your own experiences/places to discover always end up being your favourite things.
17. Having someone to travel with is not a necessary requirement for travel.
18. I’m only as alone as I want to be.
19. Always trust in my instincts.
20. Travel is a good learning experience in the end.
21. Stop trying to control everything.
On Being In The Moment When You Travel
22. Some memories are just for my mind.
23. Don’t worry about the photos.
24. Stop and take it all in.
25. It is better to enjoy a smaller amount fully than trying to see it all briefly.
26. Bring along patience, a sense of humour and a need for adventure.
All That Follows Travel
27. Don’t lose contact with the amazing people you meet on your travels.
Swap contact information or add each other on social media.
28. You can’t fully appreciate your travels until they’re over.
Soak it all in while you can.
Mantras To Live By
Many people use mantras to inspire them in daily life or to help them through a difficult period.
I drew these words from solo travellers just like yourself and created them into mantras that I hope will encourage and reassure.
I hope you have found them motivating!
I’d love to hear whether you’ve ever been inspired by a travel mantra or travel quote. Please let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment. Share with somebody who you think could use a little encouragement to book their first solo trip.
Love it? Pin it! (Note: Image below is half sized. For a full sized image, click the Pin It button on my floating social media share menu.)